The working group (WP2) analysed existing fundamental models and frameworks, as well as current policies, to understand what constitutes the cultural heritage sector and its practices today. The goal was to propose a model that could convey holistic, integrated and sustainable principles while being applicable in economic and social assessments and policies.
Cultural heritage has been described as a social function, where people and inherited resources are brought together in a living cycle of authorship and consumption through space and over time, reflecting identities and creating legacies.The new model suggests that cultural heritage is the glue which holds societies together. The social and economic benefits of cultural heritage derive from its power to bind and locate individuals, communities and societies. The sector is thus described as an integrated ecosystem encompassing a wide range of material and immaterial resources, that interconnect and are interdependent, while having its own specific functions for its full realisation.
The report is available on the Results section of the CHARTER website and you can find the direct link here.
- Learn more about CHARTER Alliance: https://charter-alliance.eu/
- Subscribe to the newsletter: http://bit.ly/CHARTER-newsletter
The CHARTER Project is to lead Europe to a philosophy of engagement with cultural heritage which influences how we manage our people, our cultural resources and our environment for the benefit of all. E.C.C.O.’s main contributions will be:
- Co-lead a scoping and analysis working package on competences, statistical indicators and occupational profiles within the sector.
- Contribute to the working package on education and training programes as well as on vocational education and training provisions for cultural heritage professions.
- Design a discrete occupational profile for the conservator-restorer.
- Contribute to implementation and assessment of frameworks at local level.
- Contribute to draft European policy recommendations.
- Contribute in the dissemination of actions, outcomes and good practices.